Open Burning: To Burn or Not to Burn
While DEP encourages alternatives to the burning of household trash and yard waste, such as composting, in the end, it is up to your local government to regulate the practice in their communities as long as municipalities follow at least the minimum of the state statutes. Here is a summary of Greenfield Township’s Opening Burning Ordinance
Only burn on permitted days and times
April 1st thru October 31st Monday thru Saturday – Sunrise to 7 p.m.
November 1st thru March 31st Monday thru Saturday – Sunrise to 4 p.m.
No burning on Sundays
- Call 911’s Controlled Burn number (814/940-5950) before burning brush and when done. This is important if someone calls in a possible fire that is someone burning brush.
- Have a water source available.
- Only burn on non-windy days and when ground cover is not dry.
- Burn only permitted materials. You cannot burn structures; they must be removed and hauled away.
- Burn in a contained area which must be to DEP’s standards; such as a metal barrel or cement ring with a screen on top to keep burning embers from flying out.
- Do not leave the fire unattended. Have a source of water and a rake available in case the fire spreads.
- If the fire does spread, immediately call 911. The sooner the fire department is notified, the sooner the fire will be properly extinguished and damaged kept to a minimum.